Because lifelong learning is so central to our eternal progression, I think it's critical that we take the time now to develop effective means for accomplishing it. To stay excited about it, I feel it's important to keep ourselves ever-curious, so that this insatiable thirst for understanding will keep pushing us towards lifelong learning (rather than simply forcing ourselves to do so for obedience's sake).
As I began setting up my Google reader with RSS feeds of some of the sites I frequently check (family blogs, news, and Geology journals), I was quickly impressed at how easy it would be to follow an innumerable assortment of websites. I began thinking of what else to add, and the list grew and grew and grew... until I realized that there are simply too many things to read and to learn for one person to do/read them all in one lifetime. And so, being overwhelmed, I recognized the importance of making priorities and choosing the things which will be of most good to myself and most beneficial to me in serving those around me.
I loved the quote by President Eyring, in which he says: "We will have to make some hard choices of how we use our time... And since what we will need to know is hard to discern, we need the help of heaven to know which of the myriad things we could study we would most wisely learn... Insatiable curiosity will be our hallmark." That's encouraging to me to think that the Lord really does help us in this lifelong pursuit of learning, and that he'll guide us along the way. Such guidance is what I feel has led me to pursue a career in teaching geology. And, in order to best serve my students and my community, I must remain committed to lifelong learning.
You seemed to type my own thoughts when you mentioned that there are "simply too many things to read and to learn for one person to do/read them all in one lifetime." It is incredibly overwhelming, I had to bust a little bit of the [stop and count to 5] action before I could begin to prioritize what learning I should begin into.
ReplyDeleteI agree with that thought as well! It can be overwhelming... but exciting at the same time ya know!?
ReplyDeleteI feel like it will keep my life very busy always! :)